TIR has fully digital capabilities and IRU urges users to benefit from the already available digitalised procedures.
A number of IT tools allow private sector stakeholders (transport operators, IRU and national associations) to exchange data with customs, as a response to a growing number of customs administrations that require advance cargo information.
The submission of advance cargo information is currently compulsory in the European Union (EU), Eurasian Customs Union, North America, China, Iran, Pakistan, Turkey and Ukraine.
Watch the video below to learn more about our fully digital TIR pilot project:
National policies regulating the customs affairs development strategy, in place in the majority of TIR operational countries, are recommending the transition towards a fully digitalised data management system in relation to transit.
Fully digital TIR harmonises the system’s capabilities so that it works interoperably with other digitalised procedures in the multi-modal fields of logistics, transport, eCustoms and other relevant domains.
Quicker, simpler, safer – the plan for going paperless. A move to fully digital TIR would give real-time data availability, online monitoring, improved reliability and flexible guarantees.
Using TIR’s digital capabilities – the benefits
A positive assessment from participants of the pilot project and a willingness to continue digital operations highlights the value of TIR’s digital application.
Below is a brief summary of the main benefits of using digital TIR tools for TIR stakeholders:
- Reduced administrative burden in the absence of paperwork - more time to focus on high risk consignments
- Enhanced security and reduced risk of fraud - identical information available at all customs en route electronically
- Streamlining TIR procedures at border crossing points
- Straightforward to implement and customisable to differing national IT systems
- Modernised customs procedures
- Generating more revenues by further trade facilitation
- Enhancing trade with trade partners by joint implementation of digital operations
- Transport operators
- More flexibility related to work with TIR and possibility to obtain TIR electronic guarantees outside of office working hours
- Reduced time related to TIR handling
- No need to go to the association to obtain TIR guarantee
- No need to fill in TIR guarantee manually
- Possibility to log TIR transport in real-time
- Reduced border waiting times
- Exporters and importers
- More accuracy with goods delivery times
- Possibility to put goods on the market more quickly and generate more revenue
- Makes TIR more attractive and eases its management
- No physical stocks of TIR guarantees required - reduction of related costs
- Possibility to log TIR transports in real time using TIR IT tools - further reducing possible risks
TIR IT tools
The TIR IT tools in use offer full digital capability and enable multidirectional data exchanges between TIR stakeholders, including TIR transport operators, associations, customs’ IT systems and IRU.
Various messages are exchanged throughout the process with the use of the TIR IT tools by the TIR stakeholders to ensure real-time management and logging of TIR transports. They provide a robust and secure communication platform for all parties involved.
TIR Electronic Pre-Declarations (TIR-EPD), developed by IRU, enable TIR operators to send advance cargo information and exchange messages with multiple customs authorities throughout a TIR transport, in full respect of all national customs requirements and the format of information to be submitted. This application is used widely by transport operators and their representatives. It saves border waiting time and reduces transport operator costs, while allowing customs to do proper risk assessment.
The Real-Time SafeTIR system (RTS), developed by IRU, allows customs officers to verify the status and validity of each TIR guarantee at any moment in real-time. Besides the status, the tool provides information to customs concerning the holder and the name of the TIR guarantee issuing association, as well as a wide scope of customs messages already exchanged by other customs throughout the transport. It is an effective risk management tool in the automation of the customs routine related to TIR operations.
Furthermore, thanks to RTS, information confirming the proper termination of TIR operations is made available quickly and electronically to all stakeholders involved.
AskTIRWeb is the IRU online tool for use by TIR national associations for managing TIR related matters such as issuing guarantees, claims procedure, reconciliation procedure, or the management of TIR transport operators and their vehicles and permits.
The full life cycle of a TIR guarantee, from its issuance by IRU to its termination, is digitised and controlled in real-time with the use of TIR IT tools.
Ready to join TIR?
Questions? Other requests? Get in touch with our TIR department