This 26 November marks the inaugural celebration of the World Sustainable Transport Day
What does sustainable transport mean to you?
Transport touches every part of our daily lives, every minute of every day.
Sustainable transport connects people and economies in harmony with the environment, improving social equity and reinforcing resilience. Buses, coaches, taxis and trucks are at the heart of sustainable mobility and logistics.
World Sustainable Transport Day, celebrated for the first time on 26 November 2023, is a special opportunity to recognise, reflect and act on making transport safer, more efficient, sustainable and greener.
You can support World Sustainable Transport Day by sharing your stories and tagging #TransportDay. If you wish, you can download and use our ready-to-post social media cards or make your own using the templates.
Umberto de Pretto, IRU's Secretary General, will be speaking during the event on 24 November, Session 3 on "How transport contributes to climate change agenda". The panel will take place from 12:00 to 12:40.
Other speakers of this interactive panel discussion on greening transport for a climate-friendly future are:
- F. Davenne, Director General, International Union of Railways (UIC)
- M. Mezghani, Secretary General, International Association of Public Transport (UITP)
- J. Warren, CEO, European Cyclists’ Federation (ECF)
- B. Filipović Đušić, Chair, Transport, Health and Environment Pan-European Programme (THE PEP)
- J. Elsinger, Chair, UNECE Working Party on Intermodal Transport and Logistics (WP.24)
- 09:30 – 10:00 - Registration
- 10:00 – 10:20 - Welcome Remarks
- 10:20 – 11:00 - Session 1: How transport supports our daily life
- 11:00 – 11:15 - Coffee Break
- 11:15 – 12:00 - Session 2: How transport makes us safe
- 12:00 – 12:40 - Session 3: How transport contributes to climate change agenda
- 12:40 – 12:50 - Promoting knowledge of sustainable transport solutions:
- 12:50 – 13:00 - Closing remarks
Room III, Building A, Palais des Nations, Geneva