In support of the UN Decade of Actions on Road Safety
The UNHCR Road Safety Unit has teamed up with the Eastern Alliance for Safe and Sustainable Transport (EASST) and IRU to conduct a road safety conference with the following objectives:
- Promote the importance of having fleet managers for improving road safety performance in operations.
- Explain road safety management practices.
- Explain the importance of monitoring and controlling risk factors such as speed and drivers’ behaviours.
- Present characteristics of safe ambulance operations.
- Discuss road safety challenges within operations.
- Discuss countermeasures that some operations have adopted.
This conference is intended for people working for partner organizations operating UNHCR ambulances and for UNHCR colleagues in charge of fleet management tasks, Occupational Safety and Health (OSH), risk register, programme, and administration.
In the end, the expected outcomes of the conference are the identification of countermeasures that could be adopted globally within UNHCR’s road safety management structure, and increase knowledge about the importance of hiring fleet managers.
IRU's Director for Certification and Standards, Patrick Philipp, will participate in the first session on May 22 on "UN decade of actions on road safety" as well as the third session on "UNHCR and road safety".