Crash Prevention and Defensive Driving
Road safety is a top priority for the transport industry. With more than 85% of all road accidents caused by human error, the key to safer roads is a safer driver.
• Crash costs have a significant impact on a company’s sustainability
• One in three accidents happen when people are driving for work
• Human error is the main cause of 9 out of 10 heavy vehicle crashes
The IRU Academy Crash Prevention course increases risk awareness among professional drivers. It covers risk mitigation techniques and best practices, helping to reduce the number and severity of accidents.
Who is the course for?
The course is for all professional drivers, both new and experienced. It covers general road safety aspects but also addresses risks that are specific to experienced drivers such as overconfidence.
The course is offered globally through the IRU Academy network of Associate Training Institutes.
What you will learn
• Why commercial vehicle crashes happen
• What sets professional drivers apart
• Managing your environment and your vehicle
• Monitoring speed and distance
• Managing attention and fatigue levels
• The future of vehicle safety
Training is carried out in a classroom setting and involves constant interaction among participants through a variety of activities. These include analysis of onboard footage from real accidents and near misses, simulations, videos and quizzes that challenge misconceptions and risk-taking behaviour.
It is recommended that the course takes place over half a day and is combined with half a day of driving practice on the road or track or in a simulator.
Participants receive the IRU Academy Crash Prevention and Defensive Driving certificate when they have completed the course.
Why train with the IRU Academy?
All IRU Academy training programmes:
• Integrate best practice
• Comply with international industry standards
• Help harmonise industry professional qualification standards at the global level
• Are designed by industry experts
• Guarantee the highest level of quality, consistency and accuracy
• Are regularly updated to reflect new and amended legislation and latest technical developments