The aim of the IRU Bus Excellence Award is to promote greater use of regular urban and interurban public transport by bus and coach, through high quality and cost-effective innovative projects.
Rules of procedure
What is the Aim?
The aim of the IRU BUS Excellence Award is to promote greater use of regular urban and interurban public transport by bus and coach, through high quality and cost-effective innovative projects.
The theme is: "Buses and coaches – the smart move: innovative company strategies and best practices to increase substantially the use of bus and coach services on urban and interurban regular services."
Who is eligible?
IRU BUS Excellence Award candidates must be transport companies active in regular urban or inter-urban public transport by bus or coach in any country. The IRU BUS Excellence Award is open to any public transport company, whether public or privately owned.
What are the benefits for winners?
Winners of the IRU Bus Excellence Award:
- Will have their innovative project promoted by the IRU, its Members and partners via various press events and activities, as well as within the global Smart Move campaign as a best industry practice.
- Can use the official IRU BUS Excellence Award logo, which will specify the year the award was given, on their vehicles, company letterhead, and promotional material, to inform their customers of the international recognition for their innovation.
- Will receive an IRU BUS Excellence Award trophy that they can proudly display to motivate staff and for promotional activities.
- Will receive round trip tickets and accommodation for 2 persons to the IRU BUS Excellence Award ceremony.
Criteria to be assessed
Projects submitted for consideration:
- Must correspond to the theme of the contest, the values and the objective of the Smart Move campaign to increase substantially the use of bus and coach services.
- Must demonstrate a sustained and cost-effective increase in the number of passengers.
- Should include wider operational initiatives aimed at improving the attractiveness and the use of collective transport by bus and/or coach, such as:
- network or service improvements,
- the creation of innovative new lines/services, including on board services,
- information and marketing campaigns,
- integrated ticketing systems, including electronic ticketing, SMS ticketing etc.,
- implementation of quality, safety and/or security schemes,
- implementation of environment care programmes,
- implementation of customer care programmes, including for disabled and mobility impaired people etc.
- Could be a partnership between a road transport operator and a transport-related authority.
- Could be a partnership between different road transport operators or transport sectors (taxis, trains, ferries and aircraft)
How to apply?
All applications must contain:
- A clear description of the service/project, emphasising the resulting benefits for passengers, society and operator(s). Scope and duration of the project must be clearly stated, if required.
- In the case of partnerships, clear information on the nature of the partnership. The role of the bus and coach operator(s) in the partnership must be emphasised. Economic and financial aspects must be described in full.
- Clear descriptions of any market analyses and promotional campaigns, as well a of incentives offered to passengers, such as special services or fares.
- Feedback from customer satisfaction surveys.
- Basic information on investments made and revenues generated by the project, including any subsidies received.
- Facts and figures demonstrating that the service/project’s objectives were achieved.
The IRU will collect applications through its Member Associations or directly (with the agreement of its Member Associations in the country concerned), or through its partners’ network within the Smart Move campaign in the countries where no IRU Member Association exists, and will submit projects that meet the IRU BUS Excellence Award criteria to the international jury.
Applications should be prepared in English and must be sent in triplicate to the IRU (Maria Ivanovici at Tel: +32-2-743 25 80 or Fax: +32-2-743 25 99 or E-mail: email@example.com, mentioning “IRU BUS Excellence Award 2013”) before 15 June 2013.
Who awards the IRU Bus Excellence Award?
The IRU BUS Excellence Award will be awarded by an international jury, composed of representatives of the IRU, the bus and coach business community and other international governmental or non-governmental organisations, which will select the most innovative and cost-effective project.
All decisions of the IRU BUS Excellence Award international jury are final.
The IRU BUS Excellence Award international jury shall publicly announce the winner at an appropriate international event during the second half of 2013.
For additional information
Contact the IRU Permanent Delegation to the EU in Brussels (Maria Ivanovici at Tel: +32-2-743 25 80 or Fax: +32-2-743 25 99 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning “IRU BUS Excellence Award 2013”), Avenue de Tervueren 32-34, bte 17, B-1040 Brussels, Belgium.
Rules of procedure: EN ¦ FR ¦ AR ¦ DE ¦ ES ¦ RU ¦ TR